The Stewardship Communications & Special Projects Manager creates, implements and evaluates opportunities to creatively and strategically engage prospects and donors, as well as recognize them for their contributions and inform them about the impact of their gifts to the University via avenues of traditional methods, new and social media. This position partners with the Stewardship Directors, stewardship officers within the schools, colleges, and units across the development community at the University of Michigan to create pilot projects, collaborative messaging, and methodology documentation on stewardship topics. This position also creates learning and communication opportunities for the development community on stewardship topics through on-line social networking platforms and in person engagement. This position is responsible for finding new and creative ways for the OUD Stewardship Team to increase efficiency, develop effective business systems, and create highly personalized opportunities to steward University donors. In conjunction with the position’s business systems analysis & specials projects responsibilities, the individual will work closely with the Directors in OUD Stewardship to both perform daily production tasks as well as provide process improvements, documentation and community outreach. In addition, this position is responsible for the oversight of the administration of the OUD Stewardship office.
Reports to: Senior Director of Stewardship Programs & Director, Faculty & Staff Campaign
Supervises directly: Stewardship Assistant
10% Communications for Stewardship
* Responsible for creating and implementing an on-line presence for OUD Stewardship activities, offerings and initiatives through contributions to development newsletters like In The Know.
* Responsible for remaining up-to-date on current and future advances in new and popular social media, such as LinkedIn in order to educate the development community
* Develop pilot projects leveraging new media to further advance donor communication, engagement and gift impact.
* Identify, create, enhance and maintain OUD Stewardship communication tools, Stewardship Toolkit on DevNet.
* Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
20% OUD Stewardship’s Brown Bag Learning Series
* Create and collaborate with Director of Individual Stewardship along with other stewardship team members on community engagement and learning opportunities such as the Stewardship Forum and OUD Stewardship?s Brown Bag Learning Series.
* Plan new and innovative monthly learning opportunities for the development stewardship community.
* Partner with S/C/U’s to create new learning opportunities.
25% Business Systems Analysis & Special Projects
* Partner with the Director of the Faculty and Staff Campaign (The Senior Director of Stewardship Programs) on the management of campaign activities, including but not limited to communications and marketing, collaboration with Marketing and Annual Giving, stewardship of the campaign and management of campaign budget.
* Partner with members of the OUD Stewardship team to identify and address areas where business systems can be improved and streamlined.
* Work on special initiatives supporting the mission of stewardship in OUD and the schools, colleges and units (S/C/U’s).
* Work with team members to create solutions and ensure that projects move through to implementation.
* Create and manage pilot projects in stewardship both in OUD and the S/C/U’s. Responsible for providing detailed “how-to” documentation at the completion of pilot projects.
* Create, build and maintain partnerships with groups both within OUD and throughout the University to further the mission of the OUD Stewardship team.
* Partner with the OUD Stewardship team to create and maintain Policy and Procedures Manuals.
* Design and coordinate the effective scheduling of complex meetings, interviews and conference calls, anticipating needs and exercising discretion and judgment as to priorities.
* Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
10% Individual Stewardship
* Work in partnership with the Director of Individual Giving.
* Execute, enhance and provide support for annual donor reporting program; run reports, review data, communicate with representatives from the Schools, Colleges and Units (S/C/U’s).
* Work with Director of Individuals Stewardship to develop and maintain appropriate systems and reports to expedite the donor reporting process.
* Review and update list of donors who will receive annual and semi-annual endowment reports.
* Organize and verify endowment and expendable financial data.
* Share with s/c/u stewardship officers and gift officers names of donors receiving endowment reports.
* Produce annual and semi-annual endowment reports.
* Coordinate both in-house and mail-house endowment report mailings.
* Generate ad-hoc endowment fund and donor financial status requests (cumulative giving histories) as needed.
* Partner on Stamps Scholarship stewardship and events
* Organize, implement and facilitate scholarship events.
* Special projects related to stamps scholars.
10% Scholarship Stewardship
* Work in partnership with the Director of Scholarship Stewardship
* Work to create innovative ways to thank donors for their impact
* Work to create impact reports for our donors
* Organize, implement, and facilitate numerous stewardship events, Hail yeah Day, Celebrating Donors, and their scholars.
* Other special projects and duties as assigned.
15% Management and OUD Stewardship Office Management
* Manage the Stewardship Assistant, providing leadership, setting and evaluating individual goals, developing and sustaining appropriate training, mentoring, and assigning and monitoring coverage of primary areas of focus.
* Responsible for maintaining budget data including records of expenditures.
* Oversee the monthly statement of activity (P-cards) and budget report with the OUD Finance and Administration Office for the stewardship office and the faculty and staff campaign.
* Serve as Operation Mentor to new team members, including coordination of office, computer, and telephone equipment; training and orientation schedules; keys; etc.
10% Serve as Performance Support Program (PSP) Member
* Actively partner to identify and address technology opportunities within the team.
* Promote a learning environment by working with leadership to set personal and team technology skill goals and then providing training and learning opportunities to meet those goals.
* Provide on-going technology support to his/her team in finding resolutions to technology issues until they are satisfactorily resolved.
* Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Three to five years professional experience.
* Experienced PC user, knowledge of MS Office Suite 2007 preferred (Word, Excel,), Google Suite of Products (Mail, calendar, and drive).
* Familiarity with a wide-range of new and popular social media and computing programs such as LinkedIn, Microsoft OneNote and Microsoft Access.
* Detail oriented, strong communication skills and a great degree of comfort adapting to changing systems and methodologies.
* Discretion when dealing with highly sensitive information.
* Ability to set priorities, handle multiple assignments and deadlines, and to display excellent judgment while operating in a flexible and professional manner.
* Professional experience in a fundraising environment.
* Knowledge of UM Development systems, including the Donor & Alumni Relationship Tool (DART), Business Objects, WebNow (ROI).
For additional information about this position and to apply, please visit: http://bit.ly/Zu86EX
For other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: www.giving.umich.edu/careers