- Set an annual minimum giving amount for
a board member.
- Ask for a three year commitment of
$_____ annually, with an additional $_____ for a capital campaign gift.
- Require board members to be at a certain
minimum giving club level.
- Require 100% participation from board
- Require a meaningful gift.
- Set up challenge gifts for boards. For
example, one member can match other contributors to a maximum of ...
- Have board members provide a gift from
their company or organization.
In any case, it should not necessarily be a
requirement for board members to give, since some are hired for other
qualities such as their ability to improve partnerships with related
The key is that board members should have clear job descriptions that not
only describe responsibilities, but also any peripheral requirements such
as gift expectations.
They should be provided with these job descriptions
prior to becoming members so their roles and responsibilities, and any
giving expectations are known in advance.