The position is responsible for designing,
implementing and coordinating an institution-wide, comprehensive
stewardship program that appropriately and consistently promotes
interaction with and recognition of donors at all levels.
This positionís role is to sustain positive and mutually-rewarding
relations between the University and its donors; partner with
development directors to determine the best strategies for effective
stewardship of donors; maintain ongoing and active networking with
internal and external constituencies; coordinate recognition events for
major gift donors and coordinate various activities for the universityís
lifetime and planned giving donor societies.
The position reports to the Director of Advancement Services and
includes supervisory responsibility for the stewardship associate.
- Establish and manage information
tracking processes regarding acknowledgement, recognition, on-going
communications and continued cultivation of past and current major
donors to enhance their relationship with the University and increase
the likelihood of continued contributions.
- Develop and assess policies and
procedures across the division and university that are essential for a
comprehensive donor relations program.
- Design, document, and implement a
systematic and integrated donor relations program that encompasses
donor recognition events, endowed status reports, and building naming
- Devise and use consistent, accurate,
and appropriate information-sharing mechanisms for stewarding
prospects and donors.
- Proactively support the stewardship
responsibilities of the development staff by assisting them in
establishing and coordinating individualized stewardship plans for
donors to their colleges/units.
- Work collaboratively with University
Advancement staff to compose letters, compile appropriate invitation
lists, engage featured program participants, create programs and
provide program materials, prepare program scripts and participant
remarks (as needed) and create and/or obtain donor awards and
- Recommend and facilitate on- and
off-campus publicity of major gifts and donors with development team
and University Marketing. Advise on and facilitate the recognition of
donors in both print and Web-based publications.
- Oversee production of the donor lists
and information for the Presidentís Report, determine the report
recipients, and facilitate the mailing.
- Coordinate and monitor the
Universityís recognition entities working closely with other
colleagues in University Advancement.
- Direct management issues for one
full-time staff member and one student worker.
- Bachelorís degree required. Advanced
- Minimum of one to two years
experience, preferably in higher education (or a comparably complex
organization), in development, stewardship, advancement services or
related field. Previous experience interacting with donors or other
high net worth individuals is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively
both verbally and in writing. Writing samples required.
- Understanding of fundraising
- Supervisory and training experience.
- Proficiency in prioritizing and
managing multiple, diverse and on-going projects.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability
to appropriately manage sensitive and confidential information.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
Word and Excel.
- At least 2 years of event planning
- Experience working with a complex
donor database preferred.
- Successful completion of an employment
and/or criminal history background check required.