Reports to: Director of Development
The Development Assistant is responsible for all administrative aspects
of development and public relations activities.
Scope and Impact
This is one of two positions reporting to the Director of
Development. The other position reporting to the Director of Development
is the Assistant Director of Development.
The Development Assistant plays an important role by providing
administrative support to the Development Office and participating in
all fundraising activities including donor and public relations, direct
mail appeals, and special events.
- Process donations and prepare
acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
- Maintain foundation, corporation and
individual donor files.
- Create monthly fundraising reports
and other database reports as needed.
- Continually update and correct
- Conduct preliminary research on
prospective corporate foundation and individual donors.
- Coordinate productions and mailing
of spring and year-end appeal letters.
- Track tax credit donations in the
database and keep a file for each tax credit donor.
- Send appropriate documentation to
process credits to donors.
- Answer donor questions regarding tax
- Maintain guest lists, gather and
prepare registration materials and other duties as assigned for
- Handle all administrative details
associated with the Institutional Advancement Committee meetings
(i.e. prepare and distribute notices, agendas, minutes, etc.).
- Prepare media materials for
distribution. (i.e. copying, filing, mailing, e-mailing)
- Assemble media and donor kits for
events and meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the
Director of Development.
Possible performance measures:
- Number of donations processed and
acknowledged within 24 to 48 hours.
- Success in maintaining accuracy of
- Accuracy of fundraising reports.
- Success in coordinating the
production of direct mail appeals.
- Success in maintaining donor hard
Preparation and Knowledge
- Associate's or bachelor's degree in
a related field.
- A minimum of three years' experience
in an administrative position, preferably in a not-for-profit
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel
and PowerPoint Database management experience – GiftMaker Pro
- Excellent verbal and written
- Ability to present information
concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize and prioritize
- Ability to work independently with
- Excellent interpersonal skills