The incumbent reports to the Director of
Annual and Special Gifts, but is expected to work with a high degree of
The Director of Telephone Outreach Program (TOP) is responsible for
planning and overseeing highly specialized telemarketing program to
raise the maximum number of contributions from over 200,000 contactable
alumni, parents, students and friends.
The Director, TOP must ensure the telephone solicitation of alumni,
parents, and friends in a timely, accurate, and cost-efficient manner.
Overall job responsibilities include:
- Assisting in the development,
implementation and management of campus-wide annual giving service
- Developing strategic plans for donor
acquisition, renewals and upgrades,
- Implementing telemarketing strategies
and best practices, analyzing and communicating results and
identifying and implementing opportunities to improve program
- Managing program budgets and providing
client/customer service to campus clients (units),
- Developing new program opportunities
to solicit and maintain campus-wide participation and usage of Annual
Fund Telephone Outreach Program services.
Other responsibilities include:
- Managing the ongoing telemarketing
program using student callers. recruiting, training, staffing of
calling shifts, maintaining a calling cadre of 80-100 student callers
throughout the year.
- The incumbent must have the capacity
to lead and mentor staff and student employees in a team environment.
- Demonstrated experience managing and
supervising personnel including training, delegating work assignments,
setting expectations, and monitoring performance.
- Ability to motivate employees,
maintain good morale, and serves as a resource to others.
- Skills and ability to articulate
procedures and processes to staff.
- Demonstrated supervisory and personnel
management skills to effectively recruit, select, hire, train,
evaluate performance and perform conflict resolution for staff
- Ability to recognize and maintain
security of confidential information.
- Demonstrated experience in annual fund
- Experience in conceptualizing,
writing, producing and evaluating scripts, telemarketing messages, and
market segmentation analysis and strategy formulation to increase the
volume of telephone solicitations.
- Demonstrated ability to strategically
plan and independently make decisions based on existing gift
solicitations, call methods, and annual fund/gift policies.
- Experience and/or knowledge of
development and fundraising techniques are essential.
- Demonstrated experience in the
application and implementation of telemarketing practices in annual
fundraising in a higher education/non-profit environment preferred.
- Demonstrated skill in customer
acquisition (donors and campus clients)
- Proficiency with the development and
application of client/customer service delivery models in an outbound
telemarketing/call center environment.
- Proven track record in client services
and process improvement
- Demonstrated skill and experience to
independently plan, coordinate, and manage multiple targeted
telemarketing initiatives and specialized/customized telemarketing
programs for highly segmented populations with the goal and strategies
to acquire, retain and upgrade donors.
- Demonstrated experience in negotiating
various on-campus agreements (MOU). The incumbent must have the
ability and the capacity to represent Development/Annual Fund in
building and maintaining a productive and effective revenue generating
centralized annual fund program.
- The incumbent must have experience in
presenting program offerings, develop client need assessment, and
customized call plans when required.
- Proven skills to compile and
assimilate large/complex data sources and apply relevant information
according to client expectations in various usable formats.
- Demonstrated experience in deriving
defensible, annual fund strategies and business (revenue)
recommendations for approval by both senior management and internal
- Ability to analyze data from a wide
variety of sources and present statistical information in an
understandable, appropriate format.
- Excellent analytical skills to
anticipate/identify issues; compare data to multi source sets of
information to draw conclusions, develop goals/plans for resolution
- Ability to translate plans into action
and to meet objectives, prepare reports of results.
- Technical understanding of an
automated telemarketing software program, SmartCall preferred.
- Demonstrated ease with utilizing
spreadsheets and large/complex databases (Advancement Information
System (AIS) preferred) in order to perform program and solicitation
- Strong leadership, managerial,
organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience working with a
culturally diverse workforce and constituency.
- Skill to exercise tact and diplomacy
in dealing with others and establish and maintain cooperative working
- Ability to work independently and as
part of a team.
- Skills to apply generally accepted
accounting principles (GAAP) and institutional policies and procedures
relative to budgeting, accounting, purchasing, payroll, and personnel.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge
of budgeting practices, including preparing budgets, budget
reports/forecast projections and reconcile expenses.
- Ability to conduct statistical data
analysis and generate analytical reports.