Reporting to the EVP, the VP, Strategy,
Evaluation and Performance Measurement will be a member of the
Foundation's executive team responsible for analyzing and improving the
Foundation's philanthropic Return on Investment (ROI) and
developing/implementing best practices in grant making and performance
The VP will also be charged with creating and communicating the
Foundation's innovative evaluation strategies and outcomes to
national/international opinion leaders and policy makers.
The VP, Strategy, Evaluation and Performance Measurement will be an
agent for change within the organization through program/grantee
evaluation and the implementation of workable, practical, and
sustainable processes that enhance productivity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze the short and long-term
Return on Investment (ROI) and impact of all Foundation grants.
- Apply corporate benchmarking
strategies, performance measurement indicators, and financial
modeling to determine the effectiveness, outcomes, risk,
scalability, and measurable impact of grants.
- Identify and implement best
practices within grant making and performance accounting.
- Create an innovative upfront
benchmarking process for initial grant awards and a feedback system
for completed grants.
Create and present real time performance reports of on-going grants.
- Utilize performance assessment as a
platform for Foundation-wide learning and improvement.
Create value for the Foundation through improved reporting
- Develop benchmarks and standards by
which the Evaluation Department's goals will be assessed on a
quarterly and annual basis.
- Manage (along with the Program Vice
Presidents, Directors, and Officers), outside third party analysts
and evaluators to aid in the evaluation process.
- Work with the Foundation's
communication staff to disseminate evaluation findings and structure
discussions to inform staff, board, and relevant stakeholders.
- Participate as a key member of the
Foundation's senior team in the strategic planning process. Assess
on-going progress toward strategic goals. Recommend revisions to the
strategic plan based on evaluation results.
- Identify, establish, and maintain
relationships with peer foundations with comparable missions,
priorities, and practices.
- Foster a collegial exchange of
information regarding grant making practices, evaluation issues, and
the incorporation of learning strategies into the Foundation's
- Collaborate with the EVP to identify
staff development and continuing education opportunities.
- Work closely with the Foundation
staff to promote an atmosphere of teamwork, enthusiasm, and
commitment to the Foundation's missions and goals.
Advanced degree in social sciences,
education, evaluation or related field with substantial experience in
research/program evaluation. Doctoral degree preferred. MBA desirable.
Microsoft Office Suite
- 10+ years of professional experience
in research and evaluation within a nonprofit, academic, foundation,
or corporate setting.
- Strong performance measurement
background with knowledge of and demonstrated experience in
quantitative and qualitative evaluation methods.
- Recognized innovator and change
agent capable of creating and implementing effective process
- Thorough knowledge of best practices
within program/project evaluation.
- Experienced in corporate
benchmarking and analyzing Return on Investment (ROI) for funded
- Accomplished in developing and
executing strategic plans.
- Experience working in matrixed
- Strong relationship builder capable
of interacting with opinion leaders, international dignitaries,
academics, grantees, and support staff.
- High level of professionalism and
- Ability to accommodate international
and domestic travel to evaluate grants and grantees.
- Strong financial and analytical
- In-depth understanding of the
Foundation's charter and mission.
- Knowledge of the grant making
- Expertise in specific program areas
helpful but not required.
- Strong personal interest in the
Foundation's mission is essential.